Unique and practical, Via Need
A kitchenware collection focusing on different lid designs in collaboration with Daikin, an air conditioning equipment manufacturer.
Daikin produces fluoroelastomer which is made from the same raw material that makes substances used in its air conditioning systems. Fluoroelastomer is a high- performance rubber which is commonly used in the automotive industry. This material has outstanding heat, oil and acid resistance and excels in preventing changes in color and shape over a long period of time.
This fluoroelastoemer, which is made from the same raw materials that assist in supplying pleasant air to people, has a silkier touch than regular silicone rubber, mimicking the same “airy” quality as if directly touching something materialized from the air itself, which normally cannot be touched. In order to best express the material’s characteristics and properties, a variety of functional kitchenware lids were designed each showcasing different possibilities.
01. Pick-up lid – a lid that can pick up together with seasonings from its container
02. Press lid – a lid for a liquid container that opens like a mouth when pressing down its top
03. Pinch lid – a lid that conceals a small spoon, which only appears when pinching its edge
04. Pull lid – a lid that is stretched from inside the container, closes its mouth with tension
05. Push lid – a lid that extrudes liquid from the container when being pushed in to it
These lid designs aim to symbolize “something” between human and an object, and to convey the abstract feeling of air to be a bit more tangible, which in reality we cannot really “sense”.