From the GitHub release page:
3.0.0 is the latest major revision of CircuitPython and features new support for the SAMD51 (aka M4) and preliminary support for the nRF52 BLE chipset. It also features better memory utilization so more can be loaded in the same amount of space.
We believe this release is stable and relatively bug free. So, please try this before trying 2.x. If you find issues please file an issue. If no major bugs are found, then we’ll release this as 3.0.0 stable.
Changes since Beta 1
pulseio.PulseOutare now supported on ESP8266. Thanks @nickzoic
audiobusio.PDMInno longer hangs in some cases. Thanks to @dhalbert
- Wave file playback works from SD card (but is a bit scratchy). Thanks to @dhalbert
- GPIO12 (MTDI) pin on ESP8266 is now usable. Thanks to @sommersoft
- Fix file listing when current directory is ‘/’. Thanks to @dhalbert
- Can no longer mount an SD file system over an existing file or folder. Thanks to @dhalbert
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
All builds are available as both UF2 and bin files here along with test builds.
New Features in 3.0.0
- Support for SAMD51 based M4 boards from Adafruit. Thanks @tannewt, @dhalbert, @siddacious and all the M4 testers.
- Preliminary support for nRF52 BLE capable boards. Thanks @glennrub, @tralamazza, @microbuilder, @arturo182, @hathach and @jerryneedell.
- Long-lived heap allocations are better compacted. (Video) Thanks @tannewt and @dhalbert.
- Read the microcontroller’s unique id through
microcontroller.cpu.uid. Thanks @sommersoft!
- UART can now be created with only one direction. Thanks @dhalbert!
- Files to prevent mac from indexing the drive are created automatically. Thanks @jepler!
array.array. Thanks @jepler!
- Implemented seeking to non-zero locations. Thanks @aykevl and @jepler.
- Detect when USB has been plugged in with
supervisor.runtime.serial_connected. Thanks @sommersoft and @dhalbert.
- Change file system label (CIRCUITPY by default) using
storage.erase_filesystem()to make erasing the file system easy. Thanks @dhalbert!
- atmel-samd: usb_hid support include Consumer Controls (aka multimedia keys) and Gamepad. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Support atmel-samd real-time clock (RTC) as main time source. Thanks @notro!
audiobusio.I2SOutsupport and split samples into
audioio.WaveFile. Thanks @tannewt
resumewhile playing back a sample. Thanks @tannewt
samd.clockadded to enable low level clock tuning. Thanks @notro
supervisor.reload()now available to reload the VM. It no longer uses KeyboardInterruptException but rather its own ReloadException. Thanks to @rhooper
board.UART()as singleton objects for default buses as defined on the board. Thanks to @matt-land
- Longints are now supported on M0 Express boards (along with M4 boards). Thanks to @notro and @dhalbert
- Add custom board for CircuitPlayground Crickit. Thanks to @dhalbert and @ladyada
- Support for the Pirkey M0. Thanks @dhalbert
rotaryioto support rotary encoders. Thanks to @tannewt and @dhalbert
- Auto-pause PulseIn during high frequency input thanks to @tannewt, @dhalbert and @jerryneedell
- ESP8266 is now auto-built by Travis thanks to @jepler
- Code has been reorganized to ease sharing main code across ports.
ustructhas been replaced with
structto match CPython.
ucollectionshas been replaced with
collectionsto match CPython. Thanks @bildzeitung.
binasciito match CPython. Thanks @jepler
- The mpy format has changed so make sure and use a 3.0.0 bundle for libraries.
- Non-standard array types inherited from MicroPython are no longer supported in favor of matching CPython. Thanks to @jepler.
audioio.AudioOutnow takes the sample to playback in
playrather than in the constructor. (This enables playback through other outputs such as
audiobusio.I2SOut.) It also means you only need one
AudioOutfor multiple samples.
frequencyproperty has been renamed to
- Trinket M0 and Gemma M0 builds no longer include pin objects for all microcontroller pins. They only include those used by the board. Thanks to @rhooper
- Auto-reload no longer uses KeyboardInterruptException but rather its own ReloadException. Thanks to @rhooper
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub, sprinted with us at PyCon and/or chatted with us on Discord:
@ladyada, @dhalbert, @tannewt, @kattni, @microbuilder, @arturo182, @jamesadevine, @tralamazza, @hathach, @glennrub, @siddacious, @deshipu, @tdicola, @mrmcwethy, @willingc, @sommersoft, @deanm1278, @jerryneedell, @stewmystre, @boneskull, @Sigafoos, @brentru, @caternuson, @process1183, @Andon-A, @asherlie, adamwolf, dastels, @hukuzatuna, @KurticusMaximus, nis, BravoDelta, aj_nys, @wolf, @vesperk38, @jepler, @notro, CGrover, @larsks, @WestfW, @rhooper, @khawley, @godlygeek, @bildzeitung, @matt-land, @wickedchicken, @margaret, sdw_nj, @ntoll, @SConaway, @dglaude, @nickzoic, MikeBarela, Josh, Les, @cefn, (from PyCon sprints) Dylan W, Anders, David, Dylan H, Adam, John, Chris, Lady Red, Craig, Aaron, John, Boris, Drew and Kathryn and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available on readthedocs.io.
Here are all the changes since 2.3.1.