From the GitHub release page:
This is a beta build of 4.0.0. There are still issues to fix before stable and the new APIs may evolve a bit more. Please use the latest 3.x stable release when first starting with CircuitPython. It is stable.
4.0.0 is the latest major revision of CircuitPython and features support for the nRF52840 BLE chipset and translated messages.
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
Most builds are available as both UF2 and bin files here along with test builds.
New Features, Updates, and Fixes since Beta 1
- nrf: Add
touchiosupport to nRF52840 using a 1mOhm drain resistor. Thanks to @nickzoic
- nrf: Improve USB and BLE coexistence. Thanks to @hathach
displayiochanges. Thanks to @tannewt
- Adds serial output to displays when they are available.
- Replaces Sprite with TileGrid which is more generic.
Displaynow manages the backlight brightness. To change it manually do
display.auto_brightness = Falseand then set
display.brightnesswith a value 0 to 1.0.
- Add support for display rotation.
- Enables FATFS fast seek to slightly improve file read times. Thanks to @tannewt
Breaking Changes from 3.x!
- busio.UART breaking changes to match PySerial. Thanks to @dhalbert
- busio.UART constructor timeout parameter is now in seconds instead of milliseconds
- UART.readinto(buf) now does not allow an optional length parameter UART.readinto(buf, len)
- UART.write(…) no longer allows strings to be written. The bytes written must be bytes or bytearray or an array.array.
framebufhas been removed.
displayiois its replacement, and will be enhanced after 4.0 to include
structcompatibility with CPython by enforcing stricter types. This may break your code! Thanks to @dhalbert
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or Discord:
@ladyada, @dhalbert, @tannewt, @kattni, @microbuilder, @hathach, @arturo182, @nickzoic, @glennrub, @siddacious, @deshipu, @sommersoft, @jerryneedell, @brentru, @caternuson, @jepler, @urish, @sajattack, @notro, @Jahor, @Makdaam, @mrmcwethy, @jepler, @notro, @mattyt, @furlaneto, @ATMakersBill, @Klowner, @klardotsh, @C47D, @carlosperate, @platipo, @xpecex, @gcvasconcelos, @saspa, @uhrheber, @nickzoic, @sabas1080, @sajattack, @JoshuaLowe1002, @Senuros, @mchobby, @Retoc, @CedarGroveStudios, @bwshockley, @yeyeto2788, @jimblom, @rhooper, @ShawnHymel, @TG-Techie, @eighthree, @arofarn, @chalei, @vgoodwinv, @gpshead, @dsiee, @Tasm-Devil, @larsks, @CarlFK, @edspark and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.