From the GitHub release page:
This is it! We think this is stable but want you to test it out to be sure. If we don’t find anything major, then this will be the 4.0.0 release. If there are any fixes to make we’ll follow up with another release candidate.
4.0.0 is the latest major revision of CircuitPython. It features:
- extensive new support for pixel-based displays (
- a port to the Nordic nRF52840 microcontroller, including support as a BLE beacon or peripheral (
- USB MIDI support
- messages translated into multiple languages
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
New Features, Updates, and Fixes since Beta 7
- nrf: Added
nvmsupport. Thanks to @nickzoic and @dhalbert
- Add USER_C_MODULE support. Thanks to @dmazzella.
gamepadshiftfor buttons connected to a shift register. Thanks to @deshipu and @tannewt
- Refreshed the README and fixed PDF build. Thanks to @tannewt
- Clarified I2SOut error messages. Thanks to @C47D and @tannewt
- Fixed backlight flickering. Thanks to @dhalbert
- Update pybadge pinout for production revision. Thanks to @ladyada
- Numerous crash fixes. Thanks to @tannewt
New and Updated Translations
- Tweaks to Polish translation. Thanks to @deshipu
- Additional Chinese (Pinyin) translations. Thanks to @hexthat
- Tweaks to French translation. Thanks to @arofarn
- Electronut Labs Papyr. Thanks @ntavish and @ITACAInnovation
Breaking Changes from 3.x!
errnoto reflect that they are subsets of the CPython library modules. Thanks to @dhalbert.
- busio.UART breaking changes to match PySerial. Thanks to @dhalbert.
- busio.UART constructor timeout parameter is now in seconds instead of milliseconds.
- UART.readinto(buf) now does not allow an optional length parameter
- UART.write(…) no longer allows strings to be written. The bytes written must be bytes or bytearray or an array.array.
framebufhas been removed.
displayiois its replacement, and will be enhanced after 4.0 to include
framebuf‘s functionality. Thanks to @tannewt.
structcompatibility with CPython by enforcing stricter types. This may break your code! Thanks to @dhalbert.
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or Discord:
@adafruit, @alwayslinux2, @anecdata, @arofarn, @arturo182, @ATMakersBill, @barbudor, @brennen, @brentru, @bwshockley, @C47D, @CarlFK, @carlosperate, @caternuson, @CedarGroveStudios, @chalei, @charlesbunaford, @cpforbes, @CraigF, @dastels, @deshipu, @dhalbert, @dsiee, @dmazzella, @edspark, @eighthree, @emteeoh, @furlaneto, @gcvasconcelos, @glennrub, @gpshead, @gvcp, @hathach, @hexthat, @iraytrace, @ITACAInnovation, @Jahor, @jasonp, @jepler, @Jay Doscher, @jerryneedell, @jimblom, @JohnPark, @JoshuaLowe1002, @jreese, @juanita, @KacperLA, @kattni, @kdb424, @kevinjwalters, @klardotsh, @Klowner, @ladyada, @larsks, @madbodger, @maholli, @Makdaam, @MakerMelissa, @MattyT, @mchobby, @mgithubreq, @microbuilder, @MikeBarela, @Mr. Certainly, @mrmcwethy, @nickzoic, @notro, @ntavish, @oldcrow, @penguindustin, @PhredFL, @platipo, @ptorrone, @Rathmore, @rdagger, @Retoc, @rhooper, @sabas1080, @sajattack, @sajattack, @saspa, @schmarty, @Senuros, @ShawnHymel, @siddacious, @sommersoft, @SouthernDragon, @TangoJuliett, @tannewt, @Tasm-Devil, @TG-Techie, @ThomasRKirkland, @uhrheber, @urish, @vgoodwinv, @xpecex, @yeyeto2788, @wawachief, and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
Note: 4.0.0-rc.0 was tagged but not really released. We wanted to get pybadge changes into the RC that make it work with the production board.