When Adafruit started in 2005 we sold 2 open source hardware kits, the x0xb0x and MiniPOV2. You can still find the files to build these two projects at ladyada.net/make/minipov and ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x
I asked Ladyada if we had any of the original orders from about 15 years ago, turns out we have exactly 2 we kept for historic reasons – they are some of the first orders for each of these two kits – that I scanned. Pictured above is a x0xb0x order from May of 2005, and an Adafruit order from August 2005 (miniPOVs). There might be earlier ones, however, these are the significant ones we kept.
Here were ALL the kits and inventory in 2005 / 2006, it fit on one table, now it’s 3+ floors and 50,000+ square feet and then some.
In the cart, pictured above, these were about all the orders for an entire week back in 2005 / 2006, now it’s that many per hour at least. Ladyada would take these to the post office each day/week, we still have the cart!
As of October 13, 2019 Adafruit has 2,161,166 orders. Order history from an open-source hardware company over the last 10 years or so is as follows…
On March 8, 2019 @ 7:55 pm ET the 2,000,000 order was placed for an Adafruit FONA 808 – Mini Cellular GSM + GPS Breakout, Adafruit Ultimate GPS FeatherWing, Mini GSM/Cellular Quad-Band Antenna – 2dBi SMA Plug, Adafruit Feather M0 with RFM95 LoRa Radio – 900MHz – RadioFruit, Adalogger FeatherWing – RTC + SD Add-on For All Feather Boards, and included the free items: Adafruit Perma-Proto Half-sized Breadboard PCB, Boomy the BoomBox – Limited Edition Enamel Pin. On November 13, 2018 @ 3:18 pm ET the 1,900,000 order was placed for a Lock-sport Pick Set!. On July 23, 2018 at 1:55 pm ET the 1,500,000 order was placed for a Raspberry Pi Zero W. On January 27, 2016 @ 10:49:52am ET the 1,000,000th order was placed for a Mini-Theremin Kit from Gakken. On October 16th, 20015 @ 09:24:46am we hit 900,000 orders – Previously on June 2 2015 at 10:50am we hit 800,000 orders! On Feb, 6 2015 at 6:06am ET we hit our 700,000th order! On October 6th, 2014 we hit our 600,000th order. On May 14, 2014 we hit our 500,000th order. Before that in December of 2013 we hit 400,0000 orders and then previously in June of 2013 we hit our 300,000 orders. On November 25th, 2012 we hit 200,000 orders. In August of 2011 we hit 100,000 orders.
If we calculate 5/11/2005 being the first day we shipped orders and we’re now up to 2,161,166 orders… it’s been 5,268 days, or 126,432 hours. That means on average we’ve shipped over 400 orders a day for the last 15 years, or another way to calculate it is we’ve shipped about 17 orders per hour, for 24/7/365 over the last 15 years.
Open source hardware month @ Adafruit:
- Photos of the first Arduino (2005) – Day 12, 10/12 2019.
- In 2010 there were 13 Open Source Hardware companies that were making $1 million or more… – Day 11, 10/11/2019
- Opening Hardware 2010 at Eyebeam in NYC – Day 10, 10/10/2019.
- The Open Source Gift Guide, the early years – Day 9, 10/9/2019 (posted it on 10/10/2019, whoops)
- Before the iPhone, before the Raspberry Pi, before Amazon Echo Show, there was Chumby – Day 8, 10/8/2019.
- Mitch Altman Open-source hardware pioneer – Day 7, 10/7/2019.
- The Open Source logo(s) – Day 6, 10/6/2019.
- Open Source Hardware events all month long, EVENTS! – Day 5, 10/5/2019.
- Open Source Hardware Certifications and more! – Day 4, 10/4/2019.
- Teuthis Open Source MP3 Player 2001 – Daisy by Raphael Abrams – Day 3, 10/3/2019.
- What is the Open-Source Hardware Definition? – Day 2, 10/2/2019.
- Open hardware summit – Limor “Ladyada” Fried keynote 2010 – Day 1, 10/1/2019.
October is open-source hardware month! Every single day in October we’ll be posting up some open-source stories from the last decade (and more!) about open-source hardware, open-source software, and beyond!
Have an open-source hardware (or software) success story? A person, company, or project to celebrate? An open-source challenge? Post up here in the comments or email firstname.lastname@example.org, we’ll be looking for, and using the tag #OHM2019 online as well! Check out all the events going on here!