This is an Alpha Release
This is the fifth alpha release of CircuitPython 5.0.0. Alpha releases are meant for testing. Use the latest stable 4.x release when first starting with CircuitPython.
5.0.0 is the latest major revision of CircuitPython. It features many improvements and enhancements to
displayio, including grayscale OLED and e-paper displays, extensive additions and changes to BLE support, support for the STM32F4 and Sony Spresense microcontrollers, and PWM audio support.
Download from circuitpython.org
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
New Features, Updates, and Fixes since 5.0.0 Alpha 4
- Circuit Playground Bluefruit: disable onboard speaker by default. Thanks @jepler.
- Adjust on-board DotStar brightness to accommodate different inherent brightnesses for different versions of DotStars. Thanks @dhalbert.
microprocessor.cpu.voltageto measure voltage supplied to chip. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Better PyPortal Titano display support. Thanks @brentru and @ladyada.
- Allocate two available I2C objects on Circuit Playground Bluefruit and Arduino Nano 33 BLE to accommodate on-board I2C sensors. This is at the expense of dropping down to a single SPI peripheral.
- Remember original specified PWMOut duty cycle and use when recalculating to avoid accumulating errors. Thanks @theacodes.
- Allow setting max USB packet size for MSC. Thanks @kamtom480.
- Parameterize stack location and limits. Thanks @kamtom480.
__bytes__()builtin. Thanks @tannewt.
unixbuild support for undefined architectures. Thanks @jerryneedell.
- Fix various minor code problems found by automated code-scanning tool. Thanks @jepler.
lib/tinyusbto fix HID issues. Thanks @dhalbert and @hathach.
- Update frozen modules. Thanks @tannewt.
- On nrf, deactivate PWM on
PWMOUT.deinit(). Thanks @jepler.
- nrf: use analog reference voltage that matches other ports. Thanks @jepler.
- Additional German translations. Thanks @Retoc, @Senuros, and @kickbutts.
- Addition Pinyin translations. Thanks @hexthat.
rtcdocumentation. Thanks @theacodes.
- Improve automation of module support matrix in documentation. Thanks @sommersoft.
README.rst. Thanks @darkmusic.
- atmel-samd: Fixes for
AudioOut. Thanks @jepler.
- Remove unsupported ports from
portssource tree. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Stop running unneeded thread tests, which sometimes break the builds. Thanks @jepler.
- Always build certain modules needed by all ports. Thanks @hierophect.
- Improve release build handling. Thanks @tannewt.
- Make build fail when boards are missing. Thanks @tannewt.
- Do not re-upload release assets already uploaded. Thanks @tannewt.
New and Improved Boards
Find all boards at https://circuitpython.org/downloads.
- itsybitsy_nrf52840_express. Thanks @dhalbert and @ladyada.
- arduino_nano_33_ble. Thanks @dhalbert and @ladyada.
- serpente. Thanks @arturo182.
- stringcar_m0_express. Thanks @CGrover.
- sparkfun_qwiic_micro_no_flash and sparkfun_qwiic_micro_with_flash. Thanks @edspark.
displayioturned on for CPX. Thanks @tannewt.
- pyboard_v11. Thanks @hierophect.
- feather_stm32f405_express. Thanks @hierophect.
- spresense. Thanks Sony @kamtom480.
- robohat_mm1_m4. Thanks @wallarug.
- hallowing_m4. Pin additions. Thanks @makermelissa.
- monster_m4sk. Fix pin errors. Thanks @kattni.
Upcoming BLE Changes
This release does not include a substantial and breaking revamp of the APIs presented by
_bleio native module and
adafruit_ble library. These BLE changes will be merged into
master soon after this 5.0.0-alpha.5 release. We expect the next alpha or first beta release to include these breaking changes.
Breaking Changes and Deprecations from 4.x!
displayiorefresh API has been revamped to be simpler.
refresh_soonhave been removed. In both 4.x and 5.x, auto refresh will automatically refresh the display so they can be removed. The new
refresh()function can be used to control when the screen refreshes and at a specific rate.
bleiomodule has been renamed to
_bleioto indicate that it is meant to be used only for writing BLE libraries, and that its API may change between CircuitPython minor versions. There are many incompatible changes since 4.0.0. The
_bleioAPI is a work in progress and will change as 5.0.0 progresses. Please use the latest pre-release
adafruit_blelibrary for end-user BLE programming. The
adafruit_blelibrary is evolving too but will hide underlying changes in
audiomixer.Mixerand is only available on M4s. Move
audioio.WaveFileto the new module
audiocore. However, for backwards compatibility, they are still available in
audioio. They will be removed from
audioioin 6.0.0. Thanks @jepler.
stop=arg which will be removed in 6.x. Use
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or Discord,including @3ach, @ATMakersBill, @AdinAck, @Anton-2, @CedarGroveStudios, @CollinCunningham, @DavePutz, @Mr-Coxall, @Retoc, @Senuros, @TG-Techie, @ThomasAtBBTF, @alexwhittemore, @anecdata, @arturo182, @brentru, @darkmusic, @ddiminnie, @deshipu, @dhalbert, @dmopalmer, @dunkmann00, @edspark, @gallaugher, @hexthat, @hierophect, @iayanpahwa, @iraytrace, @jedgarpark, @jepler, @jerryneedell, @jpecor, @kamtom480, @kattni, @kdb424, @kevinjwalters, @kickbutts, @ladyada, @loganwedwards, @makermelissa, @nis, @rdagger, @santaimpersonator, @shazz, @siddacious, @sommersoft, @tannewt, @theacodes, @timvgso, @wallarug and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
Here are all the changes since 5.0.0-alpha.4.