From the GitHub release page:
Backup your files before updating!!!
This is a Beta Release
This is release 5.0.0 beta.2. It improves our internal filesystem definitions and may overwrite your existing files so make sure to back them up before updating!
Beta releases are largely feature-complete, but are meant for testing. Use the latest stable 4.x release when first starting with CircuitPython.
5.0.0 is the latest major revision of CircuitPython. It features many improvements and enhancements to
displayio, including grayscale OLED and e-paper displays, extensive additions and improvements to BLE support, support for the STM32F4 and Sony Spresense microcontrollers, and PWM audio support.
Download from circuitpython.org
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
New Features, Updates, and Fixes since 5.0.0 Beta 1
- Improve filesystem layout in preparation for BLE bonding support. It may overwrite your existing files so make sure to back them up before updating! Thanks to @dhalbert
Display.rotationis now settable. Thanks to @jepler
- Better USB eject logic. Now mounts on replug when battery powered. Thanks to @tannewt
- Fixes for crashes on GCC9. Thanks to @dpgeorge, @dhalbert, @jerryneedell and @tannewt
- Numerous nRF fixes. Thanks to @jepler, @kattni and @dhalbert
- Numerous audio fixes. Thanks to @jepler
- Updated nrfx and TinyUSB. Thanks to @hathach
- Updated frozen libraries. Thanks to @kattni, @jepler and @dhalbert
- Add building doc. Thanks to @rhooper
- Doc update. Thanks to @albang
Find downloads for all boards, including these, at https://circuitpython.org/downloads.
New since 5.0.0-beta.1
- Teknikio Bluebird Thanks to @JoeBakalor
- XinaBox CC03. Thanks to @gotfredsen and @KalbeAbbas
- XinaBox CS11. Thanks to @gotfredsen and @KalbeAbbas
- STM32 Blackpill. Thanks to @hierophect
Breaking Changes and Deprecations from 4.x
bleiomodule has been renamed to
_bleioto indicate that it is meant to be used only for writing BLE libraries, and that its API may change between CircuitPython minor versions. There are many incompatible changes in
_bleiosince 4.0.0. Please use the latest
adafruit_blelibrary for end-user BLE programming.
displayiorefresh API has been revamped to be simpler.
refresh_soonhave been removed. In both 4.x and 5.x, auto refresh will automatically refresh the display so they can be removed. The new
refresh()function can be used to control when the screen refreshes and at a specific rate.
audiomixer.Mixer, which is only available on M4s. Moved
audioio.WaveFileto the new module
audiocore. However, for backwards compatibility, they are still available in
audioio. They will be removed from
audioioin 6.0.0. Thanks @jepler.
stop=arg which will be removed in 6.x. Use
refrom CircuitPlayground Express Display build.
gamepadfrom CircuitPlayground Express Crickit build.
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or Discord,including @albang, @cbyr2401, @CedarGroveStudios, @Dar-Scott, @dhalbert, @dmgrime, @dpgeorge, @gotfredsen, @hathach, @hexthat, @hierophect, @iayanpahwa, @jepler, @jerryn, @JoeBakalor, @KalbeAbbas, @kattni, @ladyada, @makermelissa, @rafa-gould, @rhooper, @sarfata, @tannewt, @theacodes, @urish, @wallarug and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
Here are all the changes since 5.0.0-beta.1.