From the GitHub release page:
This is a Beta Release
This is release 5.0.0 beta.3. Beta releases are largely feature-complete, but are meant for testing. Use the latest stable 4.x release when first starting with CircuitPython.
5.0.0 is the latest major revision of CircuitPython. It features many improvements and enhancements to
displayio, including grayscale OLED and e-paper displays, extensive additions and improvements to BLE support, support for the STM32F4, iMX RT10xx and Sony Spresense microcontrollers, and PWM audio support.
Download from circuitpython.org
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
New Features, Updates, and Fixes since 5.0.0 Beta 1
- Initial support for the iMX RT10xx microcontroller line from NXP. Huge thanks to @arturo182.
_pixelbuf‘s API has been finalized and will speed up the DotStar and Neopixel libraries once they are updated. Huge thank you to @rhooper and @kattni.
_bleio.PacketBufferto allow for packet oriented BLE protocols such as the Apple Media Service and BLE MIDI. Thanks to @tannewt.
- File creation time on nRF now uses the RTC correctly. Thanks to @iot49.
displayionow supports both displays on Monster M4SK. Thanks to @Marius-450
audiomp3.MP3has been named
audiomp3.MP3Decoderso that it makes sense with the new
.fileattribute that enables decoder reuse. Thanks to @jepler
- Numerous audio related fixes. Thanks to @jepler.
- Numerous USB fixes. Thanks to @hathach
- nRF UARTs are reset correctly. Thanks to @tannewt
board.VOLTAGE_MONITORto feather_stm32f405_express. Thanks to @jerryneedell
- Correct UART pin mapping on hallowing_m4_express. Thanks to @tannewt and fnord
- The frozen HID library is now 4.0.0 on CPX and pIRkey which requires passing in a list of HID devices.
- A doc fix. Thanks to @dglaude.
Find downloads for all boards, including these, at https://circuitpython.org/downloads.
New since 5.0.0-beta.2
- NXP iMXRT 1010-EVK. Thanks to @arturo182
- arturo182 Feather iMX RT1011. Thanks to @arturo182
- arturo182 Feather iMX RT1062. Thanks to @arturo182
- Adafruit Clue nRF52840 Express. Thanks to @dhalbert
Breaking Changes and Deprecations from 4.x
- 5.0.0 improves our internal filesystem definitions and may overwrite your existing files so make sure to back them up before updating!
bleiomodule has been renamed to
_bleioto indicate that it is meant to be used only for writing BLE libraries, and that its API may change between CircuitPython minor versions. There are many incompatible changes in
_bleiosince 4.0.0. Please use the latest
adafruit_blelibrary for end-user BLE programming.
displayiorefresh API has been revamped to be simpler.
refresh_soonhave been removed. In both 4.x and 5.x, auto refresh will automatically refresh the display so they can be removed. The new
refresh()function can be used to control when the screen refreshes and at a specific rate.
audiomixer.Mixer, which is only available on M4s. Moved
audioio.WaveFileto the new module
audiocore. However, for backwards compatibility, they are still available in
audioio. They will be removed from
audioioin 6.0.0. Thanks @jepler.
stop=arg which will be removed in 6.x. Use
refrom CircuitPlayground Express Display build.
gamepadfrom CircuitPlayground Express Crickit build.
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or Discord,including @albang, @arturo182, @cbyr2401, @CedarGroveStudios, @Dar-Scott, @deshipu, @dglaude, @dhalbert, @dmgrime, @dpgeorge, @gotfredsen, @hathach, @hexthat, @hierophect, @iayanpahwa, @iot49, @jepler, @jerryn, @JoeBakalor, @KalbeAbbas, @kattni, @ladyada, @makermelissa, @Marius-450, @rafa-gould, @rhooper, @sarfata, @tannewt, @theacodes, @urish, @wallarug and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
Here are all the changes since 5.0.0-beta.2.