This is a Beta Release
This is release 5.0.0 beta.4. Beta releases are largely feature-complete, but are meant for testing. Use the latest stable 4.x release when first starting with CircuitPython.
5.0.0 is the latest major revision of CircuitPython. It features many improvements and enhancements to
displayio, including grayscale OLED and e-paper displays, extensive additions and improvements to BLE support, support for the STM32F4, iMX RT10xx and Sony Spresense microcontrollers, and PWM audio support.
Download from circuitpython.org
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
New Features, Updates, and Fixes since 5.0.0 Beta 3
- Add BLE bonding. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Fix tuple subscripting regression. Thanks @rhooper.
- STM32: Fix I2C and clean up
busio. Thanks @hierophect.
- Make buffer handling more robust for
urandom. Thanks to @jepler
- Updates for Capable Robot USB Hub. Thanks @capableRobot.
mimxrt1011updates. Thanks to arturo182.
Dxxpin names to Feather M4 Express. Thanks @scs217.
- Spresense: use source files instead of preocmpiled binaries for
mkspk. Thanks @kamtom480.
- Spresense: fix
board_timerhook. Thanks @kamtom480.
- Use Python 3 to run all Python scripts. Thanks @theodox.
- Fix support matrix generation. Thanks @deshipu.
- Requiring I2C pullups can now be turned off for a build. Thanks @dhalbert.
Find downloads for all boards, including these, at https://circuitpython.org/downloads.
New since 5.0.0-beta.3
- Ohs2020 badge. Thanks @mwelling.
- Seeduino XIAO. Thanks @dalegrover
- Open Book. Thanks @joeycastillo.
- AramCon Badge 2019. Thanks @bmeisels.
Breaking Changes and Deprecations from 4.x
- 5.0.0 improves our internal filesystem definitions and may overwrite your existing files so make sure to back them up before updating!
bleiomodule has been renamed to
_bleioto indicate that it is meant to be used only for writing BLE libraries, and that its API may change between CircuitPython minor versions. There are many incompatible changes in
_bleiosince 4.0.0. Please use the latest
adafruit_blelibrary for end-user BLE programming.
displayiorefresh API has been revamped to be simpler.
refresh_soonhave been removed. In both 4.x and 5.x, auto refresh will automatically refresh the display so they can be removed. The new
refresh()function can be used to control when the screen refreshes and at a specific rate.
audiomixer.Mixer, which is only available on M4s. Moved
audioio.WaveFileto the new module
audiocore. However, for backwards compatibility, they are still available in
audioio. They will be removed from
audioioin 6.0.0. Thanks @jepler.
stop=arg which will be removed in 6.x. Use
refrom CircuitPlayground Express Display build.
gamepadfrom CircuitPlayground Express Crickit build.
- See https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues.
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or Discord,including @ATMakersBill, @AnneB, @CGrover, @Dar-Scott, @DrewFustini, @KittenCanaveral, @TG-Techie, @arturo182, @bmeisels, @brentru, @caternuson, @codeNsolder, @cschmitz, @dalegrover, @deshipu, @deshipu, @dglaude, @dhalbert, @dherrada, @foamyguy, @geekguy, @hathach, @hierophect, @hukuzatuna, @jepler, @jerryn, @joeycastillo, @kamtom480, @kattni, @kevinjwalters, @ladyada, @madbodger, @maholli, @makermelissa, @mwelling, @nickzoic, @osterwood, @rhooper, @scs217, @siddacious, @tannewt, @theacodes, @theodox, @wallarug and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
Here are all the changes since 5.0.0-beta.3.