This is a Beta Release
This is release 5.0.0 beta.5. Beta releases are largely feature-complete, but are meant for testing. Use the latest stable 4.x release when first starting with CircuitPython.
5.0.0 is the latest major revision of CircuitPython. It features many improvements and enhancements to
displayio, including grayscale OLED and e-paper displays, extensive additions and improvements to BLE support, support for the STM32F4, iMX RT10xx and Sony Spresense microcontrollers, and PWM audio support.
Download from circuitpython.org
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
New Features, Updates, and Fixes since 5.0.0 Beta 4
- Fix BLE reinitialization on soft reload, preventing some hangs and crashes. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Increase maximum number of BLE connection from 2 to 5. Thanks @dhalbert.
_bleio.PacketBuffer.packet_sizereturning wrong value. Thanks @dhalbert.
OSErrorexceptions that involve filenames will print the filenames, so you know which filename can’t be found, etc. (on vfat only). Thanks @dhalbert.
- Fix use and exposure of internal buffers for
PixelBuf. Thanks @tannewt.
displayio.Palettenow takes tuples and lists as color values in addition to integers. Thanks @kattni for noticing the issue and @jepler and @dhalbert for the fix.
- Improve DMA for stereo
AudioOut. Thanks @jepler.
- Increase stack size on Circuit Playground Express builds to accommodate updated CP library. Thanks @dmopalmer for noticing the issue, and @kattni and @dhalbert for the fix.
- Turn off on-board user NeoPixels after soft reload on Circuit Playground Bluefruit, PyBadge, and PyGamer. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Update and improve CLUE
boarddefinition. Thanks @ladyada and @dhalbert.
- Use hardware rotation to speed up CLUE display. Thanks @ladyada.
- Allow specifying background color for
_stagenative module. Thanks @deshipu.
gamepadto CPX crickit and displayio builds; needed for updated CP library. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Update all frozen libraries. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Update handling of bad nRF fuse setting. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Fix on-board display initialization code pin handling. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Fix compilation of native micropython on OS X. Thanks @tsupplis.
- Add automatic builds of
mpy-crossto GitHub actions. Thanks @jepler.
- Fix native module support matrix generation. Thanks @deshipu.
- Improve README documentation of differences from MicroPython. Thanks @deshipu.
Find downloads for all boards, including these, at https://circuitpython.org/downloads.
New since 5.0.0-beta.4
- ndGarage Ndbit6. Thanks @ndGarage.
- Feather Bluefruit Sense. Thanks @ladyada.
- meowbit_v121. Thanks @hierophect.
- teensy40. Thanks @tannewt.
- imxrt1060_evk. Thanks @tannewt.
- imxrt1020_evk. Thanks @tannewt.
Breaking Changes and Deprecations from 4.x
- 5.0.0 improves our internal filesystem definitions and may overwrite your existing files so make sure to back them up before updating!
bleiomodule has been renamed to
_bleioto indicate that it is meant to be used only for writing BLE libraries, and that its API may change between CircuitPython minor versions. There are many incompatible changes in
_bleiosince 4.0.0. Please use the latest
adafruit_blelibrary for end-user BLE programming.
displayiorefresh API has been revamped to be simpler.
refresh_soonhave been removed. In both 4.x and 5.x, auto refresh will automatically refresh the display so they can be removed. The new
refresh()function can be used to control when the screen refreshes and at a specific rate.
audiomixer.Mixer, which is only available on M4s. Moved
audioio.WaveFileto the new module
audiocore. However, for backwards compatibility, they are still available in
audioio. They will be removed from
audioioin 6.0.0. Thanks @jepler.
stop=arg which will be removed in 6.x. Use
refrom CircuitPlayground Express Display build.
gamepadfrom CircuitPlayground Express Crickit build.
displayiooperations that read from an SD card (e.g.,
OnDiskBitmap) will interfere with other SD card operations and can cause lockup. To work around this problem, do not read or write files on the SD while the display is updating, and vice versa.
- See https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues for other issues.
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or Discord,including @tsupplis, @timvictor, @theacodes, @tannewt, @sommersoft, @Shane, @rhooper, @pdp7 (Drew Fustini), @ntoll, @ndGarage, @Mr. Certainly, @makermelissa, @maholli, @madbodger, @ladyada, @kevinjwalters, @kattni, @joey, @jerryneedell, @jepler, @jasonp, @hierophect, @geekguy, @Frank.H, @foamyguy, @Duewester, @dherrada, @dhalbert, @deshipu, @dcbricetti, @DavidGlaude, @dastels, @Dar-Scott, @CudaCoreRoo, @codeNsolder, @CGrover, @carternuson, @callmeraffiq, @brentru, @bitbank Mr. Optimization, @Becky-lou, @ATMakersBill, @arturo182, @ardnew, @anecdata, @Aine, and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
Here are all the changes since 5.0.0-beta.4.