From the GitHub release page:
This is CircuitPython 5.2.0, it features a new port to LiteX, a Python powered hardware description system used to define a soft System on Chip (SoC) that is then loaded into a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA). There are a few minor fixes and improvements over 5.1.0 as well.
Download from circuitpython.org
Downloads are available from circuitpython.org! The site makes it easy to select the correct file and language for your board. The downloads page is here. Downloads are no longer available from the GitHub release pages because of the large number of files for each release.
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
New features and improvements since 5.1.0
- Add LiteX port for CircuitPython on an FPGA. Thanks to @xobs.
- Add support for additional baudrates for nRF UART (including MIDI’s 31250). Thanks to @billmoser
- Add support for MX25L51245G SPI Flash. Thanks to @bd34n and @ladyada
displayiosupport for inverted backlights. Thanks to @siddacious and @tannewt
- Add support for phase and polarity to FourWire as kwargs. Thanks to @tannewt
- Fix iMX RT UART read length. Thanks to @arturo182 and @theacodes
- Fix iMX RT neopixel timing. Thanks to @arturo182
- Fix reading pixel values from Pixelbuf. Thanks to @jepler.
_bleio.PacketBufferwhen in server mode. Required for BLE Midi. Thanks to @tannewt
Full commit log is here.
5 New boards since 5.1.0
- Fomu Thanks to @xobs
- ThunderPack Thanks to @jgillick
- Winterbloom Big Honking Button Thanks to @theacodes
- 8086 Consultancy Commander Thanks to @burtyb
- BDMicro Vina M0 Thanks to @bd34n
Breaking Changes and Deprecations from 4.x
- 5.0.0 improves our internal filesystem definitions and may overwrite your existing files so make sure to back them up before updating!
bleiomodule has been renamed to
_bleioto indicate that it is meant to be used only for writing BLE libraries, and that its API may change between CircuitPython minor versions. There are many incompatible changes in
_bleiosince 4.0.0. Please use the latest
adafruit_blelibrary for end-user BLE programming.
displayiorefresh API has been revamped to be simpler.
refresh_soonhave been removed. In both 4.x and 5.x, auto refresh will automatically refresh the display so they can be removed. The new
refresh()function can be used to control when the screen refreshes and at a specific rate.
audiomixer.Mixer, which is only available on M4 microcontrollers. Moved
audioio.WaveFileto the new module
audiocore. However, for backwards compatibility, they are still available in
audioio. They will be removed from
audioioin 6.0.0. Thanks @jepler.
stop=arg which will be removed in 6.x. Use
refrom Circuit Playground Express Display build.
gamepadfrom Circuit Playground Express Crickit build.
displayiooperations that read from an SD card (e.g.,
OnDiskBitmap) will interfere with other SD card operations and can cause lockup. To work around this problem, do not read or write files on the SD while the display is updating, and vice versa.
ulabcan give erroneous results when sorting 2D arrays
ulabcan give erroneous results with expressions like
- See https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues for other issues.
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or Discord, including @arturo182, @bd34n, @billmoser, @burtyb, @caternuson, @dhalbert, @dpgeorge, @hierophect, @jepler, @jgillick, @ladyada, @siddacious, @sommersoft, @tannewt, @theacodes, @xobs, and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
Builds are no longer stored as assets on this release page, because there are too many of them. Please see the Download from circuitpython.org section above.