From the GitHub release page:
This is CircuitPython 5.3.0, the first 5.3.x stable release. This release adds support for 3 new boards, and the RGBMatrix driver for RGB LED matrices. See below for a more detailed list.
Download from circuitpython.org
Downloads are available from circuitpython.org! The site makes it easy to select the correct file and language for your board. The downloads page is here. Downloads are no longer available from the GitHub release pages because of the large number of files for each release.
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
New features and improvements since 5.2.0
- Add support for RGB Matrix displays (#2706, #2775), thanks @jepler @PaintYourDragon
- Add a
displayio.Bitmap(#2756), thanks @caternuson
- Make the colors used by the stage library compatible with those used in the displayio library (#2777), thanks @deshipu
- Multiple improvements to the STM32 port (#2735, #2788), thanks @k0d, @hierophect
- Improvements to the litex port (#2768), thanks @xobs
- Improvements to ulab (#2767), thanks @v923z, @jepler
- Use “checkout@v2” in the circuitpython build process (#2765), thanks @jepler
- Fix the maximum keycode in keyboard HID descriptor (#2764), thanks @dhalbert
- Fix bad submodule patk (#2763), thanks @larsks
- Add the NFC Copy Cat board (#2758), thanks @sabas1080
- Use Sphinx 3 to build the documentation (#2757), thanks @sommersoft
Full commit log is here.
3 New boards since 5.2.0
Breaking Changes and Deprecations from 4.x
- 5.0.0 improves our internal filesystem definitions and may overwrite your existing files so make sure to back them up before updating!
bleiomodule has been renamed to
_bleioto indicate that it is meant to be used only for writing BLE libraries, and that its API may change between CircuitPython minor versions. There are many incompatible changes in
_bleiosince 4.0.0. Please use the latest
adafruit_blelibrary for end-user BLE programming.
displayiorefresh API has been revamped to be simpler.
refresh_soonhave been removed. In both 4.x and 5.x, auto refresh will automatically refresh the display so they can be removed. The new
refresh()function can be used to control when the screen refreshes and at a specific rate.
audiomixer.Mixer, which is only available on M4 microcontrollers. Moved
audioio.WaveFileto the new module
audiocore. However, for backwards compatibility, they are still available in
audioio. They will be removed from
audioioin 6.0.0. Thanks @jepler.
stop=arg which will be removed in 6.x. Use
refrom Circuit Playground Express Display build.
gamepadfrom Circuit Playground Express Crickit build.
displayiooperations that read from an SD card (e.g.,
OnDiskBitmap) will interfere with other SD card operations and can cause lockup. To work around this problem, do not read or write files on the SD while the display is updating, and vice versa.
- See https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues for other issues.
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or Discord, including @caternuson, @deshipu, @dhalbert, @heirophect, @jepler, @tannewt, @xobs, @k0d, @v923z, @larsks, @sabas1080, and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
Builds are no longer stored as assets on this release page, because there are too many of them. Please see the Download from circuitpython.org section above.