From the GitHub release page:
This is the first alpha release of CircuitPython 6.0.0. It is a renumbered version of 5.4.0 because
i2cslavemodule and class have been renamed to
i2cperipheral. It is alpha because we may remove or rename additional APIs. It is relatively stable.
Feature-wise, this stable release adds basic lower power support when in
time.sleep()and initial ESP32-S2 support. The lower power work changed time keeping and may have introduced bugs. Please use 5.3.0 if you need a stable version of CircuitPython.
Download from circuitpython.org
Downloads are available from circuitpython.org! The site makes it easy to select the correct file and language for your board. The downloads page is here. Downloads are no longer available from the GitHub release pages because of the large number of files for each release.
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
New features and improvements since 5.4.0 Beta 1
sdcardiofor native SDCard support. Available on SAMD51 and spresense. Thanks to @jepler and @kamtom480.
busiosupport to ESP32-S2. Thanks to @tannewt
- Add support for SAME54. Thanks to @jepler
- Add global navigation satellite system (
gnss) support for Spresense. Thanks to @kamtom480
- Improved ESP32-S2 performance. Thanks to @tannewt and @DavePutz
ulabthanks to @jepler and @v923z
- Fix time.sleep() after it has been ctrl-c’d. Thanks to @DavePutz
microcontroller.cpu.temperatureread hang. Thanks to @dhalbert
- Fix ScanEntry prefix matching when any=False. Thanks to @dhalbert
- Fixed port D pins on STM32 LQFP64 boards. Thanks to @hierophect
- Fixed I2C timing on STM32 F7 and H7. Thanks to @hierophect
- Fixed display refresh when changing palette transparency. Thanks to @DavePutz
- Meowbit build is now UF2 rather than a bin. Thanks to @hierophect
- Documentation improvements thanks to @AndrewR-L
- Improved Dutch, German, Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish translations. Thanks to @buchen, @fede2cr, @ryevertigo, and @wtuemura.
Full commit log is here.
Breaking changes since 5.x
i2cperipheraland the class in it is changed as well.
New boards since 5.4.0 Beta 1
- Seeeduino Wio Terminal Thanks to @ansonhe97
- Atmel SAME54 Xplained Thanks to @jepler
- Loc Ber M4 Thanks for @florin-trutiu
- UnexpectedMaker FeatherS2 Thanks to @tannewt and @unexpectedmaker
displayiooperations that read from an SD card (e.g.,
OnDiskBitmap) will interfere with other SD card operations and can cause lockup. To work around this problem, do not read or write files on the SD while the display is updating, and vice versa.
pulseio.PulseInisn’t reliable on SAMD21. #3049
- Performance has dropped since 5.3.0 due to excessive background work. #2929
- See https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues for other issues.
Thank you to all who used, tested, contributed since 5.4.0 Beta 1, helped out, and participated on GitHub and/or Discord, including @ansonhe97, @buchen, @DavePutz, @deshipu, @dhalbert, @fede2cr, @florin-trutiu, @hierophect, @jepler, @jerryneedell, @kamtom480, @kattni, @k0d, @ladyada, @PTS93, @rhooper, @sommersoft, @v923z, @wtuemura and surely more we have missed. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
One important feature of CircuitPython is translated control and error messages. With the help of fellow open source project Weblate, we’re making it even easier to add or improve translations. Sign in with an existing account such as Github, Google or Facebook and start contributing through a simple web interface. No forks or pull requests needed!
Builds are no longer stored as assets on this release page, because there are too many of them. Please see the Download from circuitpython.org section above.