This is the Beta 3 release of CircuitPython 6.1. Please use 6.0.x if you need a stable version of CircuitPython on all ports except ESP32-S2. Please use this release or newer for the ESP32-S2. See
port status below for more stability details.
Notable in this release are a number of ESP32-S2 additions and fixes, bringing us closer to a stable release for that port. There are 2 new boards and one new board revision included in this release.
Download from circuitpython.org
Downloads are available from circuitpython.org. The site makes it easy to select the correct file and language for your board. The downloads page is here. Downloads are no longer available from the GitHub release pages because of the large number of files for each release.
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
CircuitPython has a number of “ports” that are the core implementation for a variety of microcontroller families. Stability varies on a per-port basis. As of this release,
stm for the F4 family are stable.
stm for other chip families are being actively improved but may be missing functionality and have bugs.
mimxrt10xx are in an alpha state and will have bugs and missing functionality. For all unstable ports, please use the latest pre-release.
New features and improvements since 6.1.0-beta.2
- Make ResetReason and RunReason available (#3797), thanks @dhalbert
board_deinitfor use with sleep (#3807), thanks @tannewt
- Fix some spelling mistakes (#3814), trhanks @mcauser
- Use $(PYTHON3) instead of $(PYTHON) in make actions (#3815), thanks @dhalbert
- add apt-get update (#3818), thanks @dhalbert
- #3702 breaks printing an exception twice (#3711), thanks @cwalther
- build: Update to gcc10 for ARM targets (#3752), thanks @dhalbert, @jepler
- Update capacity of MX25R1635F flash chip in devices.h (#3838), thanks @StackRduino
- adafruit_bus_device: Don’t transmit STOP condition in write_then_readinto (#3847), thanks @jepler
- Adding Support for AT25DF641A SPI Flash (#3824), thanks @skerr92
- displayio: Fix transparency and palettes of OnDiskBitmaps (#3834), thanks @jepler
- Add Adafruit to MICROPY_HW_BOARD_NAME for various boards (#3863), thanks @dhalbert
- Add support for Winbond W25Q64FV (#3864), thanks @djix123
- unmounted filesystems start as ejected (#3862), thanks @dhalbert
- circuitpy_mpconfig.mk: Unconditionally disable CIRCUITPY_BUSDEVICE (#3869), thanks @jepler
- Merge ble-fixes from 6.0.x to main (#3874), thanks @dhalbert
- Re-Arrange CI Actions (#3881), thanks @microDev1
- FIX : common_hal_reset_pin() (#3888), thanks @microDev1
- Restore frozen adafruit_bus_device module (#3900) thanks @jepler
- update frozen libs for 6.1.0-beta.3 (#3905) thanks @dhalbert
- allow radio.enabled to be settable (#3790), thanks @dhalbert
- Include wifi.radio singleton in gc (#3799), thanks @dhalbert
- Enhance debug log for wifi scan, sta_start, sta_stop (#3800), thanks @BennyE
- esp32-s2: wifi enhancement to include countrycode (#3868), thanks @BennyE
- esp32s2: make flash: use the stub (#3866), thanks @jepler
- ESP32-S2: Remove calloc in AnalogIn (#3810), thanks @dhalbert
- Store safe mode state in the RTC (#3802), thanks @dhalbert
- ESP32S2: Fix microcontroller.reset() (#3804), thanks @microDev1
- ESP32-S2: Add IDF pin resets to Microcontroller (#3643), thanks @hierophect
- Fix crash after calling stop_scanning_networks() (#3819), thanks @BennyE
- esp32s2: Reserve UART pins only if DEBUG=1 is set to address issue 3811 (#3817), thanks @BennyE
- alarm.sleep_memory + alarm.wake_alarm (#3816), thanks @dhalbert
- I2C bugfixes (#3803), thanks @skieast
- Add pin alarming (#3830), thanks @tannewt
- Enter safe mode after panic or brownout (#3808), thanks @tannewt
- Support for dual bank update on ESP32-S2 (#3812), thanks @microDev1
- Support for Touch Alarm (#3850), thanks @microDev1
- Fix minor typo in ESP32-S2 README (#3896), thanks @hugodahl
- Remove warning about lack of support on M0 from rotaryio (#3806), thanks @deshipu
- SAMD51: change of DAC power setting (#3880), thanks @digixx
- FrequencyIn: do not raise in interrupt handler (#3867), thanks @dhalbert
- Rename misnamed ESP UART pins on some boards. #3770. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Add default I2C pins for STM32F411CE (#3865), thanks @djix123
- Translations update from Weblate (#3792, #3828, #3832, #3860), thanks @vkuthan, @wtuemura, @bergdahl, @Anton-2, @ryevertigo, @hugodahl
- Fomu fixes (#3878), thanks @xobs
- Update Big Honking Button configuration to support its newest board revision. (#3820), thanks @theacodes
- Add new board BastBLE (#3662), thanks @Soulkrown
- add stackrduino_m0_pro (#3842), thanks @StackRduino
- ESP32-S2: Crash when repeatedly creating and destroying busio.I2C object on ESP32-S2 (#3846)
- Built-in adafruit_bus_device has been disabled due to issues (#3859, #3856), please install the version from the Bundle
- See https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues for other issues.
Thank you to @Anton-2, @BennyE, @bergdahl, @cwalther, @deshipu, @dhalbert, @digixx, @djix123, @hierophect, @hugodahl, @jepler, @mcauser, @microDev1, @ryevertigo, @skerr92, @skieast, @StackRduino, @tannewt, @vkuthan, @wtuemura, @xobs, and all who used, tested, and contributed since 6.1.0-beta.2. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
One important feature of CircuitPython is translated control and error messages. With the help of fellow open source project Weblate, we’re making it even easier to add or improve translations. Sign in with an existing account such as Github, Google or Facebook and start contributing through a simple web interface. No forks or pull requests needed!
Builds are no longer stored as assets on this release page, because there are too many of them. Please see the Download from circuitpython.org section above.