This is CircuitPython 6.1.0, the latest minor revision of CircuitPython, and is a new stable release. See Port status below for details on port stability, and Known Issues for known problems. If you find any issues with this release, please file an issue.
Download from circuitpython.org
Downloads are available from circuitpython.org. The site makes it easy to select the correct file and language for your board. The downloads page is here. Downloads are no longer available from the GitHub release pages because of the large number of files for each release.
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
CircuitPython has a number of “ports” that are the core implementation for a variety of microcontroller families. Stability varies on a per-port basis. As of this release,
stm for the F4 family are stable.
stm for other chip families are being actively improved but may be missing functionality and have bugs.
mimxrt10xx are in an alpha state and will have bugs and missing functionality.
Changes since 6.0.1
The changes are extensive and too long to list here. Please see these releases for details:
New boards since 6.0.1
- Adafruit Feather ESP32-S2 mini module with and without TFT display. #3959. Thanks @ladyada.
- Adafruit NeoPixel Trinkey. #3978. Thanks @ladyada.
- Update Big Honking Button configuration to support its newest board revision. (#3820), thanks @theacodes
- Add new board BastBLE (#3662), thanks @Soulkrown
- Add stackrduino_m0_pro (#3842), thanks @StackRdu
- Thunderpack v1.2. #3737. Thanks @jgillick.
- CP-Sapling. #3732. Thanks @skerr92.
- Adafruit MagTag Thanks to @tannewt
- Targett Module Clip WROOM Thanks to @targett363
- Targett Module Clip WROVER Thanks to @targett363
- AtelierDuMaker Breakout NRF52840 v1 Thanks to @Edrig
Breaking changes since 5.x
i2cperipheraland the class in it is changed as well.
stopkwarg has been removed from
I2C.writeto(). If no stop is desired, then use
- The default speed of busio.I2C and board.I2C is now 100khz, not 400khz as before. Use
busio.I2Cto set the speed explicitly. #3471 Thanks @caternuson, @ladyada, @hierophect and @tannewt
_bleio.ConnectionErrorhas be removed. Code will now raise the native
- FeatherS2: The DotStar status implementation causes issues with control of LDO2. See #4012. This change has been reverted builds beyond 6.1.0: please use an “Absolute Newest” build or a release later than 6.1.0.
- ESP32-S2: Crash when repeatedly creating and destroying busio.I2C object on ESP32-S2. #3846.
adafruit_bus_devicehas been disabled due to issues (#3859, #3856), please install the version from the Library Bundle
- Writing several larger files to
CIRCUITPYwhen there is no serial connection to the board can take a long time or hang. To speed up copying, open a serial (REPL) connection. #3986.
- See https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues for other issues.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
One important feature of CircuitPython is translated control and error messages. With the help of fellow open source project Weblate, we’re making it even easier to add or improve translations. Sign in with an existing account such as Github, Google or Facebook and start contributing through a simple web interface. No forks or pull requests needed!
Builds are no longer stored as assets on this release page, because there are too many of them. Please see the Download from circuitpython.org section above.