This is the third beta release of CircuitPython 6.2.0. This release, 6.2.0-beta.2, contains fixes and improvements, most notably for RP2040 and ESP32-S2. See Port status below for details on port stability for each port, and Known issues for known problems. If you find any issues with this release, please file an issue.
Download from circuitpython.org
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
CircuitPython has a number of “ports” that are the core implementation for a variety of microcontroller families. Stability varies on a per-port basis. As of this release,
stm for the F4 family are stable.
stm for other STM chip families are being actively improved but may be missing functionality and have bugs.
mimxrt10xx are in an alpha state and will have bugs and missing functionality.
Changes since 6.2.0-beta.1
Fixes and enhancements
pew.tick()now does its own time-keeping. #3536. Thanks @deshipu
I2CDevice. #4146. Thanks @gamblor21.
tud_task()is run on auto-reload to finish USB writes. #4122. Thanks @hathach.
- Add WEBUSB serial support (turned off by default). #4126. Thanks @FiriaCTO.
- Clarify I2C pullup error message. #4118. Thanks @BiffoBear.
- Fix native
adafruit_bus_devicefor boards without longint. #4112. Thanks @gamblor21.
ulabto 1.7.2. #4089. Thanks @jepler.
RGBMatrix: change default to
serpentine=True. #4084. Thanks @jepler.
Board- and port-specific changes
- Fix sockets created by
accept(). #4139. Thanks @hierophect.
- Fix deep sleep wakeup sometimes appearing to be brownout wakeup. #4159. Thanks @dhalbert and thanks @jfabernathy for testing.
socketarg validation and clean up internal types use for argument passing. #4136. Thanks @hierophect.
socketconnect error. #4138. Thanks @hierophect.
socket.recv_into()receiving one less byte than expected. #4148. Thanks @Neradoc.
SSLSocketfrom Socket. #4049. Thanks @hierophect.
- Fix default socket timeout. #4095. Thanks @hierophect.
- Fix sockets created by
PWMOutidea of which channels are variable frequency. #4165. Thanks @DavePutz.
rp2pio: transfer up to 32 bytes before checking background tasks. Fixes use of short NeoPixel strips. #4155. Thanks @jepler, @gamblor21, and @jerryneedell.
neopixel_write: Set NeoPixel pin as output after PIO use, to avoid spurious signals. #4160. Thanks @gamblor21.
- Initialize display for Lilygo TTGO T8 ESP32-S2. #4124. Thanks @m4tk.
- Correct maximum allowed number of PIO instructions. #4154. Thanks @LuminousOwl.
- Update to very latest
pico-sdk. Fixes issues with GP15 and adds unique id support. #4141. Thanks @tannewt.
- Add (internal-only)
board.SMPSpin, which toggles internal regulator PWM mode. #4137. Thanks @ferret-guy.
- Add (internal-only)
board.VOLTAGE_MONITORpin. #4125. Thanks @xorbit.
.reset_to_bootloader(). #4123. Thanks @jepler.
- Support for RTC. #4110. Thanks @microDev1.
- Support for watchdog timer. #4083. Thanks @microDev1.
microcontroller.cputo refer to the current CPU, restoring
.cpu.temperature, etc. Add
microcontrollers.cpus. #4087. Thanks @DavePutz.
- Enable Gameduino 3x Dazzler support. #4092. Thanks @jamesbowman.
- Fix SPI
OSErrors. #4048. Thanks @janderit.
- Fix SPI
- Add UART hardware flow control. #4018. Thanks @iot49.
- Metro M4 Airlift Lite:
- Enable Gameduino 3x Dazzler support. #4054. Thanks @dglaude.
Build and infrastructure changes
sys.pathin a better place to fix builds. #4140. Thanks @FoamyGuy.
- Update to
actions/cache@v2. #4090. Thanks @jepler.
- Fix circuitpython.org automatic PR new-languages list. #4080. Thanks @tannewt.
sdcardio: Add caution about sharing SPI bus with SD cards and other devices. #4163. Thanks @jepler.
- Translation additions and improvements. Thanks:
- @bergdahl (Swedish)
- @hexthat (Chinese Pinyin)
- @fede2cr (Spanish)
- @wtuemura (Portugese – Brazil)
- @BumblebeeMan (German)
- @jepler (German)
- @hugodahl (French)
- @Anton-2 (French)
- @tawez (Polish)
New boards since 6.2.0-beta.1
- DynaLora-USB Dongle. #4168. Thanks @ecasadod.
- Lilygo TTGO T8 ESP32-S2. #4077. Thanks @netroy.
- Silicognition LLC M4-Shim. #4105. Thanks @xorbit.
Full commit log is here.
Breaking changes since 5.x
i2cperipheraland the class in it is changed as well.
stopkwarg has been removed from
I2C.writeto(). If no stop is desired, then use
- The default speed of busio.I2C and board.I2C is now 100khz, not 400khz as before. Use
busio.I2Cto set the speed explicitly. #3471 Thanks @caternuson, @ladyada, @hierophect and @tannewt.
_bleio.ConnectionErrorhas be removed. Code will now raise the native
- ESP32-S2: Crash when repeatedly creating and destroying busio.I2C object on ESP32-S2. #3846.
- See https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues for other issues.
Thank you to all who used, tested, and contributed since 6.2.0-beta.1, including @ajs256, @anecdata, @Anton-2, @bergdahl, @BiffoBear, @bspsbee, @BumblebeeMan, @DavePutz, @dglaude, @dhalbert, @ecasadod, @fede2cr, @ferret-guy, @FiriaCTO, @FoamyGuy, @gamblor21, @hathach, @hexthat, @hierophect, @hugodahl, @jamesbowman, @jepler, @jerryneedell, @jfabernathy, @kamtom480, @ladyada, @LuminousOwl, @m4tk, @microDev1, @Neradoc, @netroy, @nichols10, @rpavlik, @siehputz, @skieast, @StarWitch, @tannewt, @tawez, @theacodes, @weblate, @wtuemura, @xorbit,, and many others on GitHub and Discord. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
One important feature of CircuitPython is translated control and error messages. With the help of fellow open source project Weblate, we’re making it even easier to add or improve translations. Sign in with an existing account such as Github, Google or Facebook and start contributing through a simple web interface. No forks or pull requests needed!
Builds are no longer stored as assets on this release page, because there are too many of them. Please see the Download from circuitpython.org section above.