Rufus touts itself as the Reliable USB Formatting Utility. It is a utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives that does quite a bit:
- Format USB, flash card and virtual drives to FAT/FAT32/NTFS/UDF/exFAT/ReFS/ext2/ext3
- Create DOS bootable USB drives, using FreeDOS or MS-DOS (Windows 8.1 or earlier)
- Create BIOS or UEFI bootable drives, including UEFI bootable NTFS
- Create bootable drives from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, etc.)
- Create bootable drives from bootable disk images, including compressed ones
- Create Windows To Go drives
- Create persistent Linux partitions
- Download official Microsoft Windows 8 or Windows 10 retail ISOs
- Compute MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-256 checksums of the selected image
- Twice as fast as Microsoft’s USB/DVD tool or UNetbootin, on ISO → USB creation (1)
- Perform bad blocks checks, including detection of “fake” flash drives
- Modern and familiar UI, with 38 languages natively supported
- Small footprint. No installation required.
- 100% Free Software (GPL v3)
Rufus provides extensive information about what it is doing, either through its easily accessible log, or through the Windows debug facility.