Professional Audio Manufacturers Alliance (PAMA) recommendations for Neutral Nomenclature in Pro Audio –
The Professional Audio Manufacturers Alliance (PAMA) is working with its members and industry trade organizations to address outdated language and terminology issues increasingly identified as discouraging a spirit of inclusivity within the professional audio community.
“The goal of this project is to introduce and create normalcy around neutral language in the audio industry,” said PAMA Inclusion Committee member Dawn Birr (Sennheiser). “As we all strive for continuous improvement in our work, personal lives and society, often it’s the small steps that get us to our goals. We hope that by taking these actions we can begin making meaningful change happen over time.”
Read more, press section / site, and PDF / archive copy. They also link to some of Google’s docs on Inclsuive Language.
The Professional Audio Manufacturers Alliance (PAMA) has identified outdated language and terminology issues increasingly recognized as discouraging a spirit of inclusivity within the professional audio community. PAMA worked in collaboration with Audinate and a few other member organizations, using an Audinate framework as a starting point. PAMA circulated a survey to member companies to gather feedback regarding problematic language (e.g., master/slave in clocking references and eliminating male/female in reference to connector topology) and soliciting input on alternate, neutral terminology. The result is a list of suggested terms to replace current terminology.
The goal of the project is to introduce and create normalcy around neutral language in the audio industry. PAMA encourages pro audio companies to embrace neutral nomenclature as one step toward meaningful change. This is a living document that will continue to evolve with ongoing input from the industry at large.
- Professional Audio Manufacturers Alliance (PAMA) recommendations for Neutral Nomenclature in Pro Audio – July 2021.
- Controller and peripheral – June 2021.
- Micropython updating to “controller/peripheral” – June 2021.
- MOSI/MISO and 140 Years Of Wrong – June 2021.
- The Python programming language repository migrates to main on GitHub… May 2021.
- What Is the Best Way to Purge…
- Fight Over Offensive Terms in Computing – April/May 2021.
- IEEE SA Standards Board Resolutions – December 2020.
- The Linux kernel has now adopted inclusive language – JULY 12, 2020.
- Git and Branch Naming – Software Freedom Conservancy – June 2020.
- Making open source more inclusive by eradicating problematic language @redhat – JUNE 30, 2020.
- A Resolution to Redefine SPI Signal Names – Open Source Hardware Association – JUNE 29, 2020.
- Replacing Terms in Music Technology – JUNE 22, 2020.
- Renaming the default branch – GitHub.
- Replacing “master” reference in git branch names – May 2019.
- “Master” on GitHub – Feb, 2001.
- Black Lives Matter at Adafruit.