From the GitHub release page:
This is CircuitPython 8.2.0-beta.0, a beta release for CircuitPython 8.2.0, and is a new unstable release.
Notable changes to 8.2.0 since 8.1.0
- Continued enhancement of
Download from circuitpython.org
Firmware downloads are available from the downloads page on circuitpython.org. The site makes it easy to select the correct file and language for your board.
To install follow the instructions in the Welcome to CircuitPython! guide. To install the latest libraries, see this page in that guide.
Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.
CircuitPython has a number of “ports” that are the core implementations for different microcontroller families. Stability varies on a per-port basis. As of this release, these ports are consider stable (but see Known Issues below):
atmel-samd: Microchip SAMD21, SAMx5x
cxd56: Sony Spresense
espressif: Espressif ESP32, ESP32-S2, ESP32-S3, ESP32-C3
nrf: Nordic nRF52840, nRF52833
raspberrypi: Raspberry Pi RP2040
stm: ST STM32F4 chip family
These ports are considered alpha and will have bugs and missing functionality:
broadcom: Raspberry Pi boards such as RPi 4, RPi Zero 2W
mimxrt10xx: NXP i.MX RT10xxx
silabs: Silicon Labs MG24 family
stm: ST non-STM32F4 chip families
Changes since 8.1.0
Fixes and enhancements
synthioimprovements and fixes. #8024, #7985. Thanks @jepler.
memoryview. #7998. Thanks @tannewt.
- Fix display initialization crashes. #7983. Thanks @furbrain.
Port and board-specific changes
TouchAlarm. #8003. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Check USB/JTAG lines for incoming characters. #7973. Thanks @tannewt.
- Improve debug builds for ESP32-C3. #7972. Thanks @tannewt.
alarm.sleep_memory. #8015. Thanks @dhalbert.
- Wait for completion in
wifi.radio.stop_station(). #7982. Thanks @bill88t.
- Allow static IPv4 address. #7976. Thanks @anecdata.
- Various fixes, including BLE bonding. #8021. Thanks @silabs-BelaV.
Adafruit Feather RP2040: add access to boot button. #7988. Thanks @Neradoc.
LilyGo T-Display RP2040: fix incorrect pins. #8026. Thanks @phamhuyvn.
LilyGo T-Display RP2040: fix display column start. #8011. Thanks @rcarteraz.
Build and infrastructure changes
apt-get updatefor mpy-cross build steps. #8012. Thanks @dhalbert.
Translation additions and improvements
- Thanks for translations:
- @andibing (English – UK)
- @bergdahl (Swedish)
- bill88t (Greek)
- @jposada202020 (Spanish)
- @luisan00 (Spanish)
- @tannewt (multiple langauges)
- @wtuemura (Portugese – Brazil)
New boards since 8.1.0
Lolin C3 Pico. #8025, #8014. Thanks @tkroo,
Lolin S3 Mini. #8023. Thanks @tkroo.
M5Stack Timer Camera X. #7941. Thanks @bill88t.
NXP MIMIXRT1060-EVKB. #8016. Thanks @charlieh0tel.
- ESP32-S3 has issues with I2C devices that sleep (LC709203F), use clock stretching, or violate the I2C protocol (e.g., BNO055). Retry operations on these devices as necessary, or use ESP32-S2 boards.
- Espressif boards have ESP-IDF storage leaks and occasionally crash after extended WiFi use.
- See https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues for other issues, including issues still to be addressed for:
Thank you to all who used, tested, and contributed since 8.1.0, including the contributors above, and many others on GitHub and Discord. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.